Michael Jeffrey Jordan, as he cordially introduced himself in a federal courtroom on Friday, stated that his drive to win and status as a newcomer motivated his effort with 23XI Racing to confront Nascar over perceived violations of antitrust rules.
Jordan shared financial and corporate details of his racing venture, saying he put in $40m of his personal wealth into the Cup Series operation launched with partner Polk and longtime driver Denny Hamlin.
“It fell to someone to act,” Jordan stated in the Charlotte courtroom. “I was a new person, I wasn’t afraid. I believed I could take on Nascar in its entirety. From my perspective, the sport required examination from a different view.”
The heart of the case involves the expiration of a 2016 deal where Nascar provided each team a franchise. This system mirrors other professional sports with separately owned franchises, like the Charlotte Hornets or the Carolina Panthers. This deal was set to expire in 2024 when Nascar insisted on charter membership renewals.
Jordan was on the witness stand for an hour and exited the courthouse to a media frenzy, with fans and media vying for a glimpse or a photo of the global icon.
Jordan’s 23XI is leading the full-court press along with Front Row Motorsports for Nascar to overhaul a operating model Jordan contended is breaking the law to maintain excessive control.
At issue for Jordan and Heather Gibbs, who preceded Jordan, are events from last September. She recounted a hectic and tense period where the sanctioning body told teams they had to sign a contract extension. This agreement spanned 112 pages outlining pay for chartered teams and a guaranteed spot in Nascar-sponsored races.
Jordan said that his team and its ally concluded their only feasible option was to refuse a signature that extensive document and litigate the matter. The other 13 organizations signed the agreement.
The team owners approached Nascar about possible changes or extension options. Nascar wasn’t talking, Jordan said.
But in the end, the resistance against what he saw as a unsustainable system was driven by the familiar goal for Jordan: Winning.
“Denny convinced me adding a third car boosted our odds of winning,” he said, noting that he bought a third charter last year for $28m despite the uncertainty. “So I took the plunge.”
Gibbs described her request for permanent charters, submitted in a written letter to Nascar. She testified the pressure of the contract signing demand was problematic.
She said, the team founder first attempted to call and persuade Nascar against forcing signatures, but CEO Jim France refused the appeal.
“Please don’t force this on us,” Heather Gibbs said was the message to Nascar’s executives. The response was, “If I wake up and I have 20 charters, that’s what I have. If there are 30, I have 30.”